is a fine-grained semitranslucent pure-white marble
quarried during the classical era on the Greek island of Paros. It was highly prized by the ancient Greeks for making sculptures. Some of the greatest masterpieces of ancient Greek sculpture were carved from Parian marble
, including the Medici Venus and the Winged Victory of Samothrace.
The original quarries, which were used from the 6th century BC onwards, can still be seen on the north side of the island on the slopes of its central peak.
Another meaning for Parian Marble
is a tablet, otherwise known as the Parian Chronicle or the Marmor Parium, which is the earliest extant example of a Greek chronological table. It has been in Oxford since 1667, and is one of the greatest treasures of the Ashmolean Museum.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.